Copyright Peter Hope of speedybroadband.co.uk produced with Serif Webplus X5
Welcome to the Web site of the Benefice of Rivenhall and Silver End. This website covers the day to day services and events related to the churches of St Mary’s and All Saints Rivenhall and St Francis Church Silver End. Links to the website for St Francis Church and to the Rivenhall parish website can be found below.
Until the early part of this century, the church stood in virtual isolation. In 1848 grave digging located the walls and floor of a Roman villa and in 1951-1952 excavations uncovered more of the villa.
In 1971 a small excavation against the south wall of the chancel resulted in evidence of a pre-historic occupation of the site dating from the late Iron Age, and above this the remains of a first century A.D. roman masonry building. Its foundations were shown to be two periods Saxon and 14th century. This extended the known history of the church back beyond the earliest recorded historical date of 1185. There have probably been Christians worshipping at the site since at least 800 AD and probably earlier.
By the 19th century Rivenhall church had an early Georgian tower and window at the west end. However, in 1837-39 Lord Western of Felix Hall, Kelvedon, gutted the structure and totally remodelled both its internal and external appearance. Brick, plaster and cement were the only materials used.
Where to Find Us:-
Rivenhall Parish Council
Contact Rivenhall Parish Council
Chelmsford Diocese www.chelmsford.anglican.org
Rivenhall Playing Fields Association
St Nicholas Witham -Witham Team Ministry
St Francis Church Silver End www.st-francis.org.uk
Follow Rivenhall Church on Facebook by clicking on the link to the right
For Witham Deanery Website Click Here
Visitor Counter From Jan 2016